We are growing!
Effini is a data science company with a big goal: to help any organisation take control of their data and gain real value and insight from it.
We are building a team of enthusiastic and talented people, committed to making a difference, and are currently recruiting for the following role:
Senior Data Scientist
What we do: We work across all sorts of sectors, with startups, SMEs, public sector, third sector and everyone in between. We provide support to them at all stages of their data journey – from strategy definition and training, through pipeline development and dashboard design to predictive modelling and AI solutions.
The role: Our senior data scientist will take a lead in the design and development of analytical solutions for our clients. This will range from statistical modelling to dashboard design, from exploratory analysis to metric definition and KPI definition. Being able to manage timescales, comply with all governance policies and procedures and lead a small team are also key in this role.
Who we are looking for: The person we’re looking for is curious, imaginative and a problem-solver. Their data science journey so far may have been mostly academic, however they are now looking to broaden the range of real-world applications of their skills. They will be the sort of person who enjoys continuing to learn and keeping up to date with new techniques and approaches. They’ll enjoy the exploration stages that new data brings and care about the purpose of what they’re doing. Most importantly, they’ll have the ability to clearly communicate the story the data brings to drive action and impact.
Where we are based: We’re usually based in the Bayes Centre, Edinburgh’s data innovation hub. We have a flexible approach to location and working pattern: if you prefer to mostly work from home, that’s fine with us. Occasionally we work on site with clients, mainly in the central belt of Scotland, and we have days when we’d like the whole team to be in the office. As such, we’re looking for someone within easy travelling distance of Edinburgh.
Our tools: Our choice of tools depends on our client and project needs. This could be PowerBI and Azure, Python/R in AWS, or something completely different. We don’t expect you to be an expert in everything, your ability to learn and adapt your current skills is more important. You will be expected to work closely with our data engineering team, who take on responsibility for pipeline delivery.
Come and join us: This is an ideal opportunity for someone with a few years practical experience delivering analytical solutions who is ready for the opportunity to take on more responsibility and variety. There will be plenty of opportunity to work on diverse and interesting data and make a real difference for ourselves and our clients.
- Understand client needs and develop practical, meaningful solutions
- Apply statistical methods to develop analytical models
- Work with our engineering team to create end to end systems
- Support other data scientists in their skills development
- Understand data quality issues and apply techniques and approaches to mitigate and improve
The skills we’re looking for:
- Practical experience in development, application and implementation model-based analyses (including regression, stochastic processes and markov chains)
- The ability to find and share the insights within data
- Strong understanding of visualisation techniques to communicate clear messages
- Able to scope projects appropriately and apply an achievable and realistic solution to a problem
- A positive attitude, with the ability to get things done with minimal oversight
- Track record of delivering high quality and impactful projects
- Excellent working knowledge of Python and/or R
- Excellent attention to detail
Additionally, we’re interested in:
- Visualization tools and techniques e.g. Power BI
- Machine learning frameworks e.g. TensorFlow
- Experience of graph databases e.g. Neo4J
- Good grasp of data management and data quality processes
- Practical testing techniques
We offer a great environment where people can develop and grow. As a company we’re also still growing so our benefits are improving all the time. At the moment we offer:
- A competitive salary and pension, based on experience and potential
- Flexible work location or use of our office in the Bayes Centre, Edinburgh
- Flexible working hours
- Emergency days
- Opportunity to take ownership of projects, and really shape the impact for the clients
- The chance to join a growing company, offering plenty of opportunities for career development
How to apply:
We are committed to equality and diversity and welcome applications irrespective of sex, sexual orientation, ethnicity, faith and religion, disability and age.
Please email your CV and a covering letter to email@example.com
Please note that at this point we wish to deal directly with candidates and are not looking to hear from recruitment agents.