Senior Data Scientist
Effini is a data science company with a big goal: to help any organisation take control of their data and gain real value and insight from it.
We are building a team of enthusiastic and talented people, committed to making a difference, and are currently recruiting for a Senior Data Scientist.
What we do: We work across all sorts of sectors, with startups, SMEs, public sector, third sector and everyone in between. We provide support to them at all stages of their data journey – from strategy definition and training, through pipeline development and dashboard design to predictive modelling and AI solutions.
The role: our new Senior Data Scientist will have the opportunity to lead the design and development of analytical solutions for our clients. Every project is different, so work could range from building machine learning models to designing dashboards to proving advice around the best set of metrics to drive businesses. This role is a unique opportunity to experience the breadth of how data can solve real problems in practical ways.
Who we are looking for: The person we’re looking for is curious, imaginative and a problem-solver. They will have delivered practical data science solutions in previous roles and are now looking for the opportunity to take a lead across a variety of clients, sectors and types of data problems. Ideally you will have experience of managing small teams of data professionals. We’re looking for someone who can bring existing skills and enjoys continuing to learn, keeping up to date with new techniques and approaches. Most importantly, they’ll be truly interested in working with our clients to solve their problems.
Where we are based: We’re usually based in the Bayes Centre, Edinburgh’s data innovation hub. We have a flexible approach to location and working pattern: if you prefer to mostly work from home, that’s fine with us. Occasionally we work on site with clients, often in the central belt of Scotland, and we have days when we’d like the whole team to be in the office. If you’re based anywhere in the UK and happy to be flexible too, we’re open to hearing from you.
Our tools: Our choice of tools depends on our client and project needs. This could be PowerBI and Azure, Python/R in AWS, or something completely different. We expect you to have strong competence in either Python or R and a willingness to adapt and grow your current skills. You will be expected to work closely with our Data Engineering team, who take on responsibility for pipeline delivery.
This is an ideal opportunity for someone who is looking to take on more responsibility and variety within an ambitious and innovative environment. Our clients have diverse and interesting challenges that data can solve, come and help us make this happen.
- Understand client needs and develop practical, meaningful solutions
- Apply statistical methods to develop analytical models
- Work with our engineering team to create end to end systems
- Leading the delivery of data projects
- Know how to identify and address data quality issues
The skills we’re looking for:
- Track record of managing and delivering high quality and impactful projects
- Practical experience in the development of machine learning models
- Excellent working knowledge of Python and/or R
- Excellent attention to detail
- The ability to find and communicate insights within data
- Ability to identify and implement achievable and realistic solutions
- A positive attitude, with the ability to get things done with minimal oversight
Additionally, we’re interested in:
- Knowledge of text processing techniques e.g. NLP
- Experience of visualization tools and techniques e.g. Power BI
- Good grasp of data management and data quality processes
- Practical testing techniques
We offer a great environment where people can develop and grow. As a company we’re also still growing so our benefits are improving all the time. At the moment we offer:
- A competitive salary and pension, based on experience and potential
- Flexible work location or use of our office in the Bayes Centre, Edinburgh
- Flexible working hours
- Emergency days
- The chance to join a growing company, offering plenty of opportunities for career development
How to apply:
We are committed to equality and diversity and welcome applications irrespective of sex, sexual orientation, ethnicity, faith and religion, disability and age.
Please email your CV and a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that at this point we wish to deal directly with candidates and are not looking to hear from recruitment agents.